We absolutely love Thai food. When we travelled in Southeast Asia, we were consistently blown away by the quality of our meals, even the simple noodle dishes served by street vendors in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. The spices and textures we experienced there are nothing like the Americanized version of Thai food you get in this country.
On our travels, we stayed with a friend of ours in Bangkok, who did us a huge favor and wrote, on a note card, “I am vegan. I don’t eat meat, fish, shrimp, or fish sauce. Please only vegetables”. We carried that card around with us for the rest of our time in Thailand. Our favorite mealtime game became handing this card to street vendors, and watching them scratch their heads and confer with each other, coming up with a plan to meet our stringent dietary restrictions. They would throw a random mix of vegetables, noodles and spices into their wok, heat it up, and we’d always be pleasantly surprised with a delicious, impromptu vegan street meal.
This Thai Peanut Vegetable Noodle dish is inspired by those improvised vegan street meals we enjoyed on our trip. The vegetables we listed work well together, but feel free to add or substitute your own to the mix. This recipe also includes our Asian Peanut Dipping Sauce as a base, which is a simple, and delicious complement to the vegetables and noodles. Enjoy your Thai street experience!
- 4 oz Thai rice noodles
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 small Yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, crushed
- 1 cup Crimini mushroom, sliced
- 1 Yellow squash
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Asian Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Broccoli, chopped
- 2 Green onions
- 1 handful Cilantro, finely chopped
- Peanuts, crushed
- Prepare 1/2 cup of our delicious Asian Peanut Dipping Sauce beforehand.
- While preparing vegetables, boil water for noodles in a medium saucepan.
- Add the noodles to boiling water for 5 minutes, until soft. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Over medium heat, add Coconut Oil to a wok, or large pan.
- When the Coconut Oil is hot, add the yellow onion, sauté for about 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic, cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, and sauté, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add yellow squash, carrot and bell pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, peanut sauce, and 1/4 cup water to the vegetables, mixing thoroughly. Heat until sauce has thickened, and broccoli has turned bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Mix noodles in with vegetables and sauce, fully coating noodles with peanut sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro and crushed peanuts, serve hot.